Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Ah, blogging.

A quick life lesson in the blogosphere:

Last night I start reading this article on salon.com, about how the recession is changing the gender breakdown of the workforce.

In the second paragraph I realize the whole article/blog is referencing another article, on salon.com.

So I'm like, why not just read the original? And I start to read that article.

But then in the second paragraph of THAT article (i.e. the first substantive graph after the lead) it quotes ANOTHER BLOG on the NYtimes site as its source of inspiration.

So I plod off to read the nytimes blog.

And what do you know, in the second paragraph (okay, the first paragraph is one sentence - but still) it says: 

As my colleague Catherine Rampell noted on the front page last week, the most recent calculations, from November of last year, showed women holding 49.1 percent of the nation’s jobs.

And so then I finally click over to the front page NY times article: "As Layoffs Surge,  Women May Pass Men in Job Force".

Meanwhile, 33 U.S. Newspapers are filing for bankruptcy because everyone gets their news and analysis for free online now.  Oh, irony!

No comments: